Monday, June 3, 2013

Chasing my favorite 60's set: 1965 Topps

Been a while since I have posted on the this blog. I have updated some of my want lists as I continue to plug away at some of my Topps Sets and All-Time Red Sox collection.

I managed to hit up a card show in Stratford, CT on Sunday while visiting the inlaws. Ended up really at one table for about 90% of the time I was there. I had cleaned up almost all his 1971 Topps short prints some months back. No new cards there, but did pick up eleven 1968 Topps high numbers for a buck a piece. Also had a number of late 1950's and 1960's Red Sox available in the $1–3 range as well. Knocked off eighteen Sox needs there. At another table I did manage to find one 1971 Topps SP to cross off.

Which brings me to my next set chase and my favorite set of the 1960's ... the 1965 flagship set.

I have always loved the bold colors, the seldom used pennants, and I find the photography to be pretty top notch for this decade. Also, the high numbers aren't out of reach like other sets from this era. And no variations either to chase down.




So I manged to win this ebay auction over the weekend. Like the couple of other sets I have been chasing, this partial (half the set) set has a number of stars, rookies, and high numbers already. Not too picky about the overall condition as this fits my budget just fine.

If any of you have some 65 Topps to trade, I would love to hear from you. I have a number of stars and commons from 1960–1979 that I would gladly trade to inch closer to completing this beauty.

Drop me an email or comment below. I will be uploading a wantlist later today. Hope to trade soon!

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite set from the 60's. One of these days, I'd like to build this set... if and when I hit the lottery. Best of luck on this sweet project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you—can't wait till Thursday's mail!!

    ReplyDelete