Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Card Show Finds

So recently I was down at the in-laws in Connecticut and lucked out in finding a card show at the local K of C hall. I had been to a couple of these over the years but hadn't been to a card show period in I bet TWO years. Going in I was hoping maybe for the dime/quarter boxes everyone talks about, maybe come away with some Allen & Ginter minis, basically, I was looking forward to an hour or so of "me" time.

So what did I find ...

After taking a walk around the room (there might have been 30–40 tables but I bet only 12 dealers if that), I stopped at one dealer and noticed he had some 2009 Topps Heritage. Thanks to this blog site, I was able to pull up my wantlists—now you gotta love that!!  Forget your wantlists, no problem—pull up the 'ol blog. So cross off four more cards off this set including a low-series short print Dice-K for a quarter!  Not sure what is more shocking, finding a SP for a quarter or Dice-K throwing a 5-pitch inning today. Sox fans know what I'm talking about on that one!

At the same table (but came back around near the end of the show) I decided to look throw two 400-count boxes that he had stacked and kinda behind so other boxes. The first was some 2011 Heritage. I'm still up in the air if I want to attempt this set. I still have a handful of '09 and '10 Heritage cards I need for those sets, including a bunch of SPs. And right now, my focus has been Ginter and trying to acquire cards of players that hold unique records or rare feats. So for forty cents apiece, here is what I found ...

So I managed to grab FIVE SPs including a Youkils, a Lester (so worst case if I don't collect this set, I have a couple of player collection cards) AND a GREEN TINT SP!!! Not bad for under $3.00!! I still have no idea, absolutely none whatsoever why Topps decided to place a number of Red Sox players under the backdrop of the Polo Grounds in New York.

While on this second go at this table, I also looked in a boxed that was titled something along the lines of non-sport, presidents, etc. I figured, he must have some Allen & Ginter minis in there ...

Not too many but any mini is a good mini. We have some National Animals, a 2008 World Icon, a couple of World Leaders, a Flag card (always a good find), and a couple of base minis. No complaints here.

I was kicking myself after the fact for a A&G mini I did not pick up. At another take, a dealer had a 2009 Verlander no-number that was hand numbered. The dealer gave me one price and then lowered it to $3.00, I should have taken it. Oh well, maybe it will be there next time.

Next up at another table was some 2009 Goodwin Champion minis. Getting closer on this set and it will be interesting to see how Upper Deck goes about the checklist for the 2011 edition. The most expensive card in this bunch was the Adrian Peterson at a buck.


Next up at one dealer was some 6 and 10 for buck boxes in which I fond some ...


Some Jon Lester's including the sweet 2009 OPC Highlights and Milestones from Jon's No-No for 2008 ... Some ...

Jason Varitek's, the Captain and still a pillar in the clubhouse. He did mighty well helping Josh Beckett get back on track over his last two starts ... and finally some more player collection cards ...


YYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKK! Of this bunch I think my two fav's are the Goudey and the Heritage.

So all in all, I came away with a number of cards that covered a nice swath of needs. It was a small show but still worth it. I'd do it again as I know there were cards I left at various tables that would fill in some other needs. So with that, hopefully, I won't have to wait another two years to attend my next show.

1 comment: